Careers Education, Information, Advice & Guidance
The Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority (CPCA) believes that every school, college, and provider within our area, will aim to achieve a high standard of delivery for careers education, information, advice, and guidance (CEIAG). It is important that all young people have access to high levels of support when preparing for Sixth Form, an Apprenticeship, Further Education, and Higher Education which will all lead to the world of work and employment.
The National Careers Strategy (1) which was published in December 2017, set out a long-term plan to build a world class careers system that will support young people and adults choose their career pathway. The Statutory Guidance (2) updated in October 2018, expanded the aim set out in the strategy, to ensure that all young people in secondary school receive a programme of advice and guidance that is stable, structured and delivered by individuals with the right skills and experience.
The strategy sets out how careers provision will bridge the gap in opportunity. It will prioritise the people and places that are in greatest need of support whilst raising the standard for everyone. As a young person, this strategy will ensure that every school has a careers programme based on their student needs, engages with a wide range of employers, opportunities to meet Further Education and Training Providers. It should provide clear information about localised labour market information and personal guidance at key decision-making points in their school life.
Schools are encouraged to use the framework for the 8 Gatsby Benchmarks of good career guidance, to set a standard of excellence.
- A Stable Careers Programme
- Learning from Career and Labour Market Information
- Addressing the Needs of Each Student
- Linking Cirriculum Learning to Careers
- Encounters with Employers and Employees
- Experiences of Workplaces
- Encounters with Further and Higher Education
- Personal Guidance
The Careers & Enterprise Company (CEC) is the strategic co-ordinating function for employers, schools, colleges, and providers, to provide high impact careers and enterprise support to young people (12-18yrs). The CPCA works collaboratively with the CEC, and all other LEPs and CA, to build a network of Enterprise Coordinators who are trained to work with school and college leadership teams to develop careers and employer engagement strategies. At the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority, this work is carried out via the CPCA Team and brokerage services across our area, who also collaborate with a multitude of national and local strategic partners
- Department for Education (DfE)
- Careers & Enterprise Company (CEC)
- Cornerstone Employers - KPMG, Morgan Sindall, Anglian Water & Stainless Metalcraft, G's Fresh & Cambridge Commodities
- STEM Learning
- Amazing Apprenticeships
- UK Engineering
- National Careers Service (NCS)
- Opportunity Area Partnership Board
- Form the Future
- Cambridgeshire County Council
- CEIAG Division
- Additional Needs Dept
- The Skills Service
- Job Centre Plus (DWP)
- Festival Bridge
The National Careers Service (3), offers an excellent online service to adults as well as young people.
- National Careers Strategy - Dec 2017 - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/careers-strategy-making-the-most-of-everyones-skills-and-talents
- Careers Guidance and Access for Education & Training Providers - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/careers-guidance-provision-for-young-people-in-schools
- National Careers Service - https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/
Additional Useful Websites
Amazing Apprenticeships - https://amazingapprenticeships.com/
Youthoria - http://www.youthoria.org/home/
Form the Future - https://www.formthefuture.org.uk
The Skills Service - https://www.theskillsservice.co.uk
Edge - http://www.sharperskills.co.uk
LMI for AII - https://www.lmiforall.org.uk/
Icould - https://icould.com/