Home > Contact Us > Complaints Policy

Complaints Policy

We are committed to providing high-quality services for all members of the public, businesses and organisations. We welcome our customers’ views and will use them to improve our services.

This policy describes how we will deal with complaints and the role of the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman. 


Aims of the Complaints Policy

Our complaints policy aims to ensure that customers:

  • know where and how to complain to us
  • receive an acknowledgement and information on the progress of their complaint
  • receive an appropriate response and action is taken where we have failed to provide a satisfactory service.

We are committed to treating all our customers fairly and equally.

We will use complaints to review and improve the way we provide services.


What is a complaint?

A complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction about the standard of service the Combined Authority provides.

There are some complaints that will not be dealt with under this policy such as:

  • Where legal processes are involved – where a legal challenge is being made regarding whether a decision or action is lawful;
  • Where there is a more appropriate individual or organisation to deal with your complaint, such as a tribunal, Ombudsman or another local organisation or council;
  • We would not normally deal with complaints about something that happened more than a year ago;
  • Complaints about members of the Combined Authority – elected councillors have a separate complaints process and the Monitoring Officer can advise you about this
  • Whistleblowing policy – there is a separate policy relating to whistleblowing
  • Complaints about Freedom of Information (FOI) requests. We have a separate policy for these types of complaints.


How do I make a complaint?

Choosing the correct organisation

Before raising a complaint to the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority (CPCA), you should ensure that you have raised the complaint with the correct organisation.

  • The CPCA is separate from the Greater Cambridgeshire Greater Peterborough Local Enterprise Partnership and the Greater Cambridge Partnership (formerly call the “City Deal’).
  • The CPCA has not replaced companies and organisations providing public transport in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough area.

If you have a complaint that does not directly relate to an activity carried out by the CPCA, you should submit your complaint to the appropriate council; Local Enterprise Partnership or transport company/organisation.


Transport and Street Matters

If you have a complaint about any transport services or street related matter, please contact your local authority for your area:

Peterborough City Council

Cambridgeshire County Council 


Greater Cambridge Partnership

If you have a complaint about the Greater Cambridge Partnership, visit their contact us page for more details.


Great Cambridge Greater Peterborough Enterprise Partnership (GCGP LEP)

If you have a complaint about the Great Cambridge Greater Peterborough Enterprise Partnership, visit the GCGP LEP website for more details on making a complaint.


If we receive a complaint from you that has been incorrectly sent to us we will either:

  • redirect your complaint to the correct organisation, or
  • let you know the right organisation to send your complaint to

We will work together with other bodies where a complaint involves more than just the CPCA.


Making a complaint to the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority

The Combined Authority has a two-stage policy:


Stage One - Informal Complaint

We will try to deal with your complaint informally. This means that you should phone or take your complaint to the office or person who dealt with your enquiry.

Our staff will do their best to settle your complaint without you needing to do anything else.


Stage Two - Formal Complaint

If you have spoken to our staff about your complaint but they have not been able to put things right, or you are not happy with the result, the next step is for you to make a formal complaint in writing to the Monitoring Officer.

By law, every Combined Authority must designate one of its senior officers as the Monitoring Officer. The Monitoring Officer is responsible for ensuring that the Combined Authority acts and operates within the law.

You can make a complaint in a number of ways:

  • write to Complaints, Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority, c/o Scrutiny Officer, The Grange, Nutholt Lane, Ely CB7 4EE

When you contact us, please detail your name and address (including your postcode) and your phone number. If you prefer, you can ask a friend or relative to speak or write to us for you. We will need your written consent if you would like someone to act on your behalf.


The Monitoring Officer will ask a Director who has not been involved in your original complaint to look into your complaint.  If we cannot resolve your complaint immediately, we will write to you within three working days to let you know we have received your complaint. We will give you a reference number and let you know that we are investigating your complaint. This information will make it easier for you to contact the person dealing with your complaint if you need to.

The Director will investigate your complaint, take any necessary action and make sure they send a written reply within 15 working days.

If your complaint needs more investigation, and we cannot send you a written reply within 15 working days, we will write to you and let you know when you will receive a written reply.

If you wish to make an appointment to discuss a complaint please contact the Monitoring Officer by emailing contactus@cambridgeshirepeterborough-ca.gov.uk

If you have been through stages one and two of the complaints procedure and you are still not happy with the results of the investigations, you can write to the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman. 


Local Government Ombudsman

You can contact the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman about your complaint at any time. However, the Ombudsman usually gives the Combined Authority the opportunity to investigate first.

You can contact the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman in a number of ways:

Local Government & Social Care Ombudsman, PO Box 4771, Coventry CV4 OEH

Phone: 0300 061 0614
Text: 'call back' to 0762 480 3014
Website: www.lgo.org.uk 

Leaflets about how to complain to the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman can be found in our partner council's offices or any library.


Comments and suggestions

As well as learning from complaints, we want to know any comments or suggestions you may have that will help us improve our services. You can do this by telling a member of staff or by putting your comment or suggestion in an email.


Read more about the Combined Authority and Business Board’s confidential reporting of complaints.