- Location: Home Based
- Contract: 12 Month Fixed Term Contract
- Salary Range: £44,624-£46,662
- Hours: 37 hours per week
- Closing Date: Open
An exciting opportunity has arisen within the Greater South East Net Zero Hub (GSENZH).
The GSENZH was set up in 2018 and is funded by the Department of Business Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS). The GSENZH covers 11 Local Enterprise Partnerships and 136 local authorities in the south east of England.
Our work encompasses several programmes that reduce carbon and bring social and economic benefit.
The Greater South East Net Zero Hub is based within the Business & Skills Energy directorate at the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority (CPCA).
The CPCA is a young organisation, with a potential to make a huge difference to the communities in Peterborough and Cambridgeshire. The Authority is committed to delivering a portfolio of projects aimed at securing major developments and improvements for our residents across key areas including:
- Business & Skills – ensuring that adult learning matches future demand in the community, business, and the economy
- Transport – improving public transport, highways and rail
- Housing – building affordable homes
- Climate change aiming for net zero carbon
The post holder will work closely with 5 other Projects Managers to develop and deliver a prioritised pipeline of regional local energy projects. The role holder will provide energy sector expertise to organisations spanning commercial, industry, public sector and communities which are developing local energy projects. Local Energy projects include, decentralised energy generation, energy infrastructure and decarbonisation of heat and transport.
The role holder will undertake effective stakeholder management with public, private and third sector organisations, industry bodies, government and government agencies to build effective relationships and regional networks to drive growth and capacity in the net zero sector.
Role: Energy Projects Manager
Reports to: Senior Projects Manager
The post holder will develop project concepts, undertake feasibility studies and develop business cases to enable investment decisions and secure finance. Working closely with other Hub team members, alongside other Energy Project Managers in the Net Zero Team, to provide client-focussed support to develop, scale up and replicate local energy projects across the Greater South East Net Zero Hub, be the technical lead on specific Net Zero themes and represent the Hub in stakeholder engagements to advance Net Zero at local and regional levels.
- Develop a pipeline of investable local energy projects utilising the full skills within the Net Zero Hub team, operating as the client interface with potential local project leads/ deliverers and their stakeholders.
- Undertake and/or support others to undertake all stages of the project development process, including concept development, feasibility studies and business cases that enable investment decisions to be made to achieve delivery;
- Identify, articulate and seek common solutions to barriers that are preventing the delivery of local energy projects;
- Be knowledgeable of policy and able to utilise the relevant national, regional and local strategies and plans in support of delivering Net Zero at local level;
- Liaise with and raise the awareness of relevant organisational stakeholders to secure the highest levels of buy in and collaboration to facilitate project delivery;
- Undertake technical activities and engage with potential project leads/ proposers and/or decision takers to scope, benchmark, aggregate and/or upscale feasible local energy projects as part of a project pipeline across the Hub area;
- Work collaboratively with project leads/ proposers and/or decision-takers to develop full business cases and help to secure funding for projects to enable investment decisions to be reached;
- Cooperate and work in collaboration with the BEIS Local Energy Team;
- Support, and lead as appropriate, the Net Zero Hub’s role in developing and implementing new solutions, tools and approaches to deliver Net Zero;
- Build relationships with key stakeholders including energy sector actors to support local clients in their delivery of Net Zero ambitions
- Ensure key performance metrics are achieved.
Key working relationships
- Public sector organisations and their partners/partnerships
- Other Members of the Combined Authority
- Senior Officers and Members of the Hub Board Constituent Bodies
- Other relevant stakeholders in the Net Zero Hub area
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
- Educated to degree level (or equivalent) in a related discipline.
- Technical knowledge of energy technologies and their applications, with at least one area of specialism.
- Track record in undertaking feasibility studies and developing business cases
- Extensive project management experience, ideally in delivering energy projects
- Contract management experience
- Stakeholder management and engagement
- Working with a range of public sector functions including finance, property, sustainability/climate change
- Public sector procurement
- Financing energy projects, energy supply chains
- Knowledge of the net zero and energy policy landscape
- Technology integration in the context of Smart Local Energy Systems Knowledge of the net zero and energy policy landscape
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Strong technical and analytical skills
- Project management skills and competency in data management and reporting
- Ability to solve and pre-empt issues
- Ability to work and collaborate with a wide range of stakeholders
- Good written and oral presentation skills.
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills
- MS Office abilities
- Prince 2 Qualified or equivalent
Applications are to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org