Senior Responsible Officer - Higher Education
Location: Flexible across Cambridgeshire and Peterborough
Salary Range: Competitive Senior Salary
Hours: Full Time
Closing Date: Thursday 16th July 2020
An exciting opportunity has arisen within the Business & Skills Team at the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority.
The Authority was established in March 2017 as a result of powers being devolved to it by Central Government most particularly in regard to securing major developments and improvements in respect of Transport, Housing, Education and Skills across the region with a vision to make Cambridgeshire and Peterborough the leading place in the world to learn, live and work.
To deliver all 3 Phases of the University of Peterborough, to deliver a capacity of 10,000 students by 2032 and title for The University of Peterborough.
Lead, manage and motivate a team of 20 specialist and multi-disciplinary consultants to design and deliver a university; site, building, M&E, equipment, academic delivery model, business model and curriculum model to deliver the transformation of HE provision in Peterborough and the Fens through delivery of the objectives. Oversee an effective £100m operational programme to support the financing, commissioning and delivery of a major new university in Peterborough.
- Lead a programme of work to create and implement the first independent university in Peterborough, effectively delivering on of the two key devolution commitments made by the Mayor
- To ensure that the curriculum and delivery model of the university is connected with the CPCA Skills Strategy. Further to lead on the development and management of a team of 20 consultants to develop an effective delivery strategy, whilst activity responding to changing needs of employers, students and funding providers, taking into account economic and skills shift patterns resulting from the impacts of COVID-19.
- Provide senior level strategic oversight for the delivery of the £100m university of Peterborough project. Including directing the three phased fund raising campaign and associates to local, regional and national government through; LGF, ERDF, ESF, SPF and the one-year CSR of 2020 and three-year CSR of 2021
- Manage and monitor a wide portfolio of projects across the three delivery phases of deliver (approx. £100m) efficiently and effectively and oversee the management of contracts with external suppliers, leveraging them over a period of six years to transform how much and how higher education is delivered, to generate measurable impacts on C&Ps productivity performance and the current levels of educational deprivation and the leading indicators for such impacts to be met.
- Ensure effective management of the £100m university budget, as well as the related 50 or so sub-contractors for education and building delivery, by formulating clear staff and contractual objectives and targets, sound performance management and monitoring arrangements and by delivering the Strategic Plan and policies set out in the LIS through attainment of the specific objectives.
Qualifications and Knowledge
- Detailed knowledge of how the higher education market works, its contribution to the business community and the FE college and ITP business models, including how HE provision can be leveraged by other education revenue streams, such as the apprenticeship levy..
- Detailed knowledge of the various forms of HE curriculum models and delivery models currently delivered in England funded through the DfE or privately, and a sound grasp of the efficacy and impact across them
- Working knowledge of the operations and structures of HMG, including the DfE academic funding teams and the BEIS innovation funding teams, and policy direction of travel
- Awareness of the HE and innovation eco-system delivery strategies of the MCAs including best practice across the Mayoral Combined Authorities in delivering HE and transforming innovation support to their businesses, to meet economic as well as societal needs
- Sound knowledge of budgetary, contract and project management tools and techniques including:
- Developing a positive and compelling vision and strategic transformation plan
- Translating complex and diverse threats and issues into positive action
- Integrating partners in strategic thinking and incorporating their views into plans
- Setting priorities to maintain performance against plan in fast changing environments
- Developing an organisations that learns from experience, success and failure
- Degree level or equivalent industry/sector experience
The Data Protection Act 2018 is the UK’s implementation of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
Under the Data Protection Act 2018, CPCA reserve the right to collect, store and process personal data about job applicants in so far as it is relevant to recruitment processes. This includes processing sensitive data for the purposes of monitoring the CA’s equality and diversity policy. All personal information held by the CPCA will be processed in accordance with the principles of the Data Protection Act.
Cambridgeshire & Peterborough Combined Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer, who values diversity and promotes equality. CPCA does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, or any other basis covered by Equality Act 2010. All employment is decided on qualifications, merit, and business need and we encourage applications from all sections of society. If you would like any reasonable adjustments or additional arrangements, please contact us via the details below.
For further information or for an informal discussion about the role please contact our retained Executive Search partners Penna:
Charles Wilson at firstname.lastname@example.org 07801 880420
Claudia Sousa at email@example.com 07763 580368
To apply for the role please submit a CV with a covering letter detailing how you meet the requirements by clicking here http://execroles.penna.com/