Senior Responsible Officer - Workforce Skills
Location: Flexible across Cambridgeshire and Peterborough
Salary Range: Competitive Senior Salary
Hours: Full Time
Closing Date: Thursday 16th July 2020
An exciting opportunity has arisen within the Business & Skills Team at the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority.
The Authority was established in March 2017 as a result of powers being devolved to it by Central Government most particularly in regard to securing major developments and improvements in respect of Transport, Housing, Education and Skills across the region with a vision to make Cambridgeshire and Peterborough the leading place in the world to learn, live and work.
To provide leadership and management of Workforce Skills funding for Apprenticeship Levy, National Retraining Scheme, National Skills Fund and Skills Provision in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough (C&P).
- Successfully transform the delivery and outcome efficacy of Apprenticeships, work placements, T Levels and traineeships, as well as workforce retraining in line with the set objectives
- Successfully develop and deliver and argument, leading to the future devolution of the National Skills Fund, National Retraining Scheme and Apprenticeship Levy budgets to the CPCA
- Lead, manage and motivate a team of staff to design programmes of work to drive policy development and defined delivery improvement objects. Oversee the effective operational devolution of apprenticeship funding through the creation of an apprenticeship levy marketplace in the C&P economy. Including creating and developing the processes, policy and procedures to support the financing, commissioning and delivery of apprenticeships using a £10m pa apprenticeship levy pot.
- To ensure that the Workforce Skills Plan is connected with the CPCA Skills Strategy. Further to lead on the development and management of workforce training and skills plans, strategies and activity responding to the changing needs of employers, learners and funding provision, taking into account economic and skills shift patterns resulting from the impacts of COVID 19
- To direct the development and implementation of the Apprenticeship Levy Marketplace, through the implementation and commissioning of the CPCA Skills Brokerage Service from project contract to completion; including contract and partner negotiations, contract management, audit, quality assurance and compliance processes to prepare for the devolution of NSF, NRS and apprenticeship levy funding and power to Cambridgeshire & Peterborough
- Represent the Mayor and the CPCA on all activity related to Workforce Skills, NSF and NRS within the various skills forums operated across the M9 MCAs. Provide thought leadership within the M9 group on transforming workforce, skills transformation to meet needs, especially in levelling-up for left-behind towns and places. Ensure effective management of the £10m pa apprenticeship levy marketplace and the £4m Skills Brokerage, as well as the related 30 or so sub-contractors for apprenticeship delivery, by formulating clear staff and contractual objectives and targets, sound performance management and monitoring arrangements and by delivering the Strategic Plan and policies set out in the LIS through attainment of specific objectives.
Qualifications and Knowledge
- Detailed knowledge of how the apprenticeship market works, its contribution to FE college and ITP business models and how it can leverage, and be leveraged by, other education revenue streams in those businesses
- Detailed knowledge of the various forms of skills development currently delivered in England funding through the apprenticeship levy, and a sound grasp of the efficacy and impact across them
- Working knowledge of the operations and structures of the ESFA teams within DfE and policy direction of travel
- Awareness of the delivery strategies of the MCAs including best practice across the Mayoral Combined Authorities in delivering and transforming workforce skills, apprenticeships, T Levels, traineeship's and adult retraining, to meet economic as well as societal needs
- Sound knowledge of budgetary, contract and project management tools and techniques including:
- Developing a positive and compelling vision and strategic transformation plan
- Translating complex and diverse threats and issues into positive action
- Integrating partners in strategic thinking and incorporating their views into plans
- Setting priorities to maintain performance against plan in fast changing environments
- Developing an organisation that learns from experience, success and failure
- Degree level or equivalent industry/sector experience
The Data Protection Act 2018 is the UK’s implementation of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
Under the Data Protection Act 2018, CPCA reserve the right to collect, store and process personal data about job applicants in so far as it is relevant to recruitment processes. This includes processing sensitive data for the purposes of monitoring the CA’s equality and diversity policy. All personal information held by the CPCA will be processed in accordance with the principles of the Data Protection Act.
Cambridgeshire & Peterborough Combined Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer, who values diversity and promotes equality. CPCA does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, or any other basis covered by Equality Act 2010. All employment is decided on qualifications, merit, and business need and we encourage applications from all sections of society. If you would like any reasonable adjustments or additional arrangements, please contact us via the details below.
For further information or for an informal discussion about the role please contact our retained Executive Search partners Penna:
Charles Wilson at email@example.com 07801 880420
Claudia Sousa at firstname.lastname@example.org 07763 580368
To apply for the role please submit a CV with a covering letter detailing how you meet the requirements by clicking here http://execroles.penna.com/