Business Bulletin: Issue Number 27
If you are a Business Membership Organisation, please share this widely amongst your member companies and networks.
The next chapter in our plan to rebuild: The UK Government’s COVID-19 recovery strategy
The Prime Minister has set out the plans for moving to the next phase of the UK Government’s response to the virus. The strategy sets out a cautious roadmap to easing existing measures in a safe and measured way, subject to successfully controlling the virus and being able to monitor and react to its spread. The roadmap will be kept constantly under review as the epidemic, and the world’s understanding of it, develops.
Lifting restrictions from businesses in England
In England, from 1 August, if prevalence remains around or below current levels, and COVID-19. Secure guidelines are followed, the government will:
- Give employers more discretion on how they ensure employees can work safely. Working from home is one way to do this, but workplaces can also be made safe by following COVID-19 Secure guidelines
- Reopen most remaining leisure settings, namely bowling, skating rinks and casinos, accompanied by COVID-19 Secure guidelines. This will not include particularly high-risk activities and settings such as nightclubs, which will be kept under review.
- Enable the restart of indoor performances to a live audience, subject to the success of pilots that are taking place as soon as possible. More information is available here.
- Enable all close contact services to resume, including any treatments on the face as eyebrow threading or make-up application.
- Carry out pilots in venues with a range of sizes of crowds including sports stadia and business events. If plans progress in line with expectations, pilots will expand to build up to and prepare for a full, socially distanced return in the autumn.
- Enable wedding receptions; sit-down meals for no more than 30 people, subject to COVID-19 Secure guideline. Over time, we will assess whether gatherings of this type for other purposes can be made possible and when larger wedding receptions can take place
- In September, schools, nurseries and colleges will open for all children and young people on a full-time basis.
All businesses and venues which are listed to reopen on 25 July or 1 August must remain closed until those dates.
People are advised that they may now use public transport but are encouraged to consider alternative means of transport where possible.
More information is available here.
Business Support Helpline FREEPHONE 0800 998 1098