Combined Authority backs Peterborough growth with over £9m for A1260
In a unanimous vote, the Board of the Combined Authority has agreed over £9 million to push ahead the A1260 Junction 32/3 upgrade.
The approval brings construction of the crucial Peterborough road scheme a step nearer. Gateway to south-west Peterborough, Junction 3 intersects two of the city’s strategic roads, serving eastbound, westbound, and northbound traffic.
The route forms a key link for many businesses and homes and Jct 3 is the cornerstone of the Parkway Network, joining the A1139 Fletton Parkway, A1260 Nene Parkway and The Serpentine approaches. It is frequently clogged by peak-hour traffic jams.
Freeing up this vital junction will help Peterborough achieve its goals for growth, as well as improving the walking and cycling routes that can help reduce unnecessary car journeys and assist the region in cutting its carbon. The project expects to result in a 20% net gain in biodiversity
Chaired by Deputy Mayor, Cllr. Anna Smith, the Combined Authority’s Board signed off the A1260 improvement Full Business Case and approved £5,850,000 to push the project forward to construction.
The funding comes from the subject-to-approval line of the Authority’s Medium Term Financial Plan.
In another unanimous vote, Members united in agreeing £3,441,880 from the Transforming Cities Fund programme to get boots on the ground and building work off to a flying start.
The A1260 schemes:
- Creating a third southbound lane on Nene Parkway from Jct 31-3
- Adding a flare of 150m to A1139 Fletton Parkway westbound off-slip to create a third lane.
- Signalisation of the Nene Parkway approach to Junction 3, with a 4-lane approach.
- Signalisation of The Serpentine approach to Junction 3, with a 4-lane approach.
- Creating third lane on the A1260 The Serpentine northbound approach, extending around 200 metres back from Junction 3.
- Adding 220m of new footpath between Saltmarsh and the Phoenix School.
- Upgrading the Cycleway for approximately 450m between Shrewsbury Avenue and the gated access of the Nature Reserve.