Wisbech Access Strategy
Via the Local Growth Fund, the Business Board have funded a £9.9 million package of improvements to the road system around Wisbech.
Why is it important?
- As part of the Fenland Local Plan, Wisbech is set to gain over 3,500 new homes and around 2,500 new jobs before 2031.
- As Wisbech grows, the existing roads will become more crowded
- The Local Growth Fund has allocated £9.5m to fund a package of road improvements to ease the pressure, which will enable Wisbech to grow
What difference will it make?
Improving the roads around Wisbech is expected to:
- improve the safety of the local roads and reduce accidents
- tackle traffic and delays, both at the locations of the improvements and the knock-on effect through Wisbech
- support the ambitions for housing, jobs and economic growth in the area
The proposed improvements are:
- a roundabout where Elm High Road meets Weasenham lane
- adding extra lanes to the existing roundabout where Elm High Road meets the A47
- replacing the staggered crossroads on the A47 at Broadend with a roundabout
What happens next?
The Full Business Case is being prepared for the improvements.
On the current timetable, the project will be completed in late 2022.
When do I have a say?
We welcome comments or suggestions at any time: please use our Contact Us form to get in touch with the transport team.
Where can I learn more?
Find out more about Local Growth Fund projects.
What we deliver
Public urged to have a say on region’s transport future
Mayor’s rescue bid for Wisbech Access gets full backing from Combine…